Direct Support Professional
Arcane Horizon is presently recruiting team players with excellent interpersonal skills, a mature positive attitude and the desire to support adults with developmental disabilities. The successful candidates will be positive role models, prepared to support individuals with all aspects of residential living.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Supporting individuals with developmental disabilities in all aspects of their day-to-day lives
- Encouraging personal skill development in all areas of the individual's life by showing, teaching and providing opportunities for new experiences.
- Building a relationship with the individual, based on respect and trust.
- Supporting people in social situations and help to build positive relationships.
- Sharing and contributing ideas, knowledge and questions with colleagues.
- Administering medications when necessary.
- Reading and documenting in log books and communication books.
- Assisting around the home with various tasks and taking the individuals out in the community.
- Assisting with personal spending.
- Assisting with personal care when necessary.
A valid driver's license supported by a clear driver's abstract is required. A current (within the last 3 months) clear Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check is required upon hire. Candidates must possess excellent communication skills with the ability to speak, read & write English fluently. Experience supporting individuals with a disability is considered an asset. Completion of a Community and Disability Support program would also be considered a strong asset.
Applicants are encouraged to complete the form below, and include their resume and cover letter.
Only those that are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Reporting to the Coordinator, the role of the Assistant Coordinator (AC) is to teach, maintain and implement the philosophy of Arcane Horizon Inc. through positive, supportive, motivating leadership and creative facilitation. On a day-to-day basis the main function of an AC is to provide direct support to individuals, and to assist with management duties in relation to the staff and activities of the individuals.
This is your opportunity to work in a nurturing, gratifying and dynamic environment as an Assistant Coordinator (Assistant House Manager).
We require a team player who demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills along with a mature attitude. A minimum of two years experience working with adults with developmental disabilities is required. Education in a recognized Disability and Community Support Worker program is an asset.
- To be a positive role model, prepared to support individuals with all aspects of community and residential living.
- Minimum two years experience supporting adults with developmental disabilities
- Post-secondary education in community and disability support is an asset
- Previous leadership experience an asset
- Provide administrative and leadership backup to the Coordinator and accept management responsibilities as required.
- Evening and weekend shift availability.
- Able and willing to provide a clear driver's abstract, Criminal Record Check and Child and Adult Abuse Registry checks.
- A valid class 5i or 5F driver's license.
- Adaptable to change
- Possesses excellent communication skills including the ability to speak, read and write English fluently.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Finance Assistant contributes to the success of the agency by providing administrative support to the staff and management of Arcane Horizon. This role is critical for assisting and acting as a backup to both the agency’s Finance Administrator and the Payroll Administrator.
Arcane Horizon is currently seeking a Finance Assistant to join our office team. Reporting to the Finance Director, the successful candidate will have experience with accounts payables, petty cash and accounts receivables.
Further qualifications include:
- Post secondary education from an accredited bookkeeping or accounting program is required
- Experience in bookkeeping or accounting is required preferably in a multi-department environment
- Experience with QuickBooks is required
- Excellent mathematical and analytical skills
- Experience with SharePoint is an asset
- Experience working a social services setting is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to build positive relationships at all organizational levels
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to multi-task
- Demonstrated ability to model appropriate professional, ethical and collaborative behaviours consistent with the responsibilities of this position
We thank all that apply for this position. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Recruitment and Hiring
Once an application is submitted to Arcane Horizon, minimum employment criteria is assessed and applicants are reviewed for suitability. Applicants will only be contacted if they meet these requirements.
Pre-Screen Phone Call
If an application meets the minimum employment criteria, applicants can expect to receive a pre-screen phone call. The purpose of this call is to discuss the applicant’s suitability in greater detail.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, interviews have been conducted remotely through Microsoft Teams. Interviews typically last between 30-60 minutes.
After the interview is completed, an applicant may be asked to provide references. Three references must be provided with valid contact information. Arcane Horizon requires that at least one reference is a supervisor that oversaw the applicant.
The final decision for hiring Direct Support Professionals is the responsibility of the Human Resources team. A member of our HR team will contact successful candidates to discuss the position and the next steps in the onboarding process.
Upon hire, the successful Direct Support Professional will be scheduled to attend an orientation at our main office on Dublin Avenue. The orientation takes approximately six hours and includes completion of paperwork and collection of documentation from the new employee. The required documentation will include, but isn't limited to:
- Clear Criminal Record Check (completed within three months of hire date)
- Clear Adult Abuse Registry check (completed within three months of hire date)
- Clear Child Abuse Registry check (completed within three month of hire date)
- Void blank cheque
- Driver's license
- Driver's abstract
- Social Insurance Number
- First Aid/CPR certificate
- Nonviolent Crisis Intervention certificate
Upon completion of office orientation, the DSP can expect to hear from the Coordinator of their respective home within two business days to organize the remainder of the orientation. This will include up to 40 hours of training, shadowing and direct support work hours in the home.
Welcome to Arcane Horizon!
The first three months of employment at Arcane Horizon, leading up to the employee's first performance evaluation, provides numerous learning opportunities for the new employee. During this time, employees receive training in Nonviolent Crisis Intervention, First Aid/CPR, Vulnerable Person's Act and of course everything associated with working successfully in the home or department. Other training opportunities may also present themselves depending on the needs of the home. Performance evaluations are conducted annually thereafter.
Why join the Arcane Horizon Community?
At Arcane Horizon we are always striving to make this a great place to work. Our senior management team is very involved with provincial initiatives to increase the wages throughout the sector and professionalize the field. We want you to choose Arcane Horizon as your career! Among the various perks of employment, we offer:
- Competitive wages
- Retention bonus
- Referral bonus
- Group benefits (full time and part time)
- Excellent pension plan with employer contributions
- Supportive and positive work environments
- Service awards and recognition
- Flexible work schedules
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Opportunities for advancement
- The satisfaction of knowing they've made a difference in somebody's life
See you soon?
As with most employers, it's important during the application and interview process to put your best foot forward so that we know how great you can be in your role with our agency. See below for a few tips on getting that resume noticed and acing the interview.
- Show us your attention to detail before we even get to know you by including it in your resume. Try to avoid spelling and grammar errors.
- Provide accurate information, including dates of past employment.
- Tailor cover letters and resumes to the organization to which you're applying.
- If you're new to this field of work, try to show why you're interested in this field (this can be done through an explanation in a cover letter and/or tailoring your resume to show your commitment to this field).
- The resume is one of the most important documents you'll ever write and is worth the effort.
- With the prescreen initial phone call, be pleasant and polite. Our field of work is working with people and we need good people with good attitudes.
- Be honest about availability and other prescreen questions. Drastic changes in availability can affect a person's employment early on.
- Please call or email us if you can't make it to your interview or if you find other employment. A candidate that no-shows takes unnecessary time out of our busy schedules.
- Be punctual for your interview. Early is ideal and can provide a bit of a buffer with any unexpected issues that may slow you down (in person interviews - traffic and trains; remote interviews - technical difficulties).
- We're looking for people who are friendly with good attitudes. Show us this in your interview.
- Eliminate distractions. Turn your cell phone off and put it away. For remote interviews, find a quiet place to be a part of the interview. Interviews can be nerve-wracking enough without having things distracting you from the questions being asked.
- Try to answer questions as concisely as possible. If you're asked for an example of something that happened in your work experience, please provide a specific example.
We are always on the lookout for great staff to join our growing agency!
1644 Dublin Avenue