Direct Support Professional
Arcane Horizon is presently recruiting team players with excellent interpersonal skills, a mature positive attitude and the desire to support adults with developmental disabilities. The successful candidates will be positive role models, prepared to support individuals with all aspects of residential living.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Supporting individuals with developmental disabilities in all aspects of their day-to-day lives
- Encouraging personal skill development in all areas of the individual's life by showing, teaching and providing opportunities for new experiences.
- Building a relationship with the individual, based on respect and trust.
- Supporting people in social situations and help to build positive relationships.
- Sharing and contributing ideas, knowledge and questions with colleagues.
- Administering medications when necessary.
- Reading and documenting in log books and communication books.
- Assisting around the home with various tasks and taking the individuals out in the community.
- Assisting with personal spending.
- Assisting with personal care when necessary.
A valid driver's license supported by a clear driver's abstract is required. A current (within the last 3 months) clear Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Check and Adult Abuse Registry Check is required upon hire. Candidates must possess excellent communication skills with the ability to speak, read & write English fluently. Experience supporting individuals with a disability is considered an asset. Completion of a Community and Disability Support program would also be considered a strong asset.
Applicants are encouraged to complete the form below, and include their resume and cover letter.
Only those that are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Arcane Horizon is presently recruiting a full time Assistant Coordinator to help lead a team of people at a new home in our agency.
What We Offer:
- Competitive wages with employees bonuses and milestone service awards
- Flexible hours
- Employee discounts that promote health and wellness
- Advancement opportunities
- Rewarding work in a supportive team environment
This is your opportunity to work in a nurturing, gratifying and dynamic environment as an Assistant Coordinator (Assistant House Manager).
We require a team player who demonstrates well-developed interpersonal skills along with a mature attitude. A minimum of two years experience working with adults with developmental disabilities is required. Education in a recognized Disability and Community Support Worker program is an asset.
- To be a positive role model, prepared to support individuals with all aspects of community and residential living.
- Minimum two years experience supporting adults with developmental disabilities
- Post-secondary education in community and disability support is an asset
- Previous leadership experience an asset
- Provide administrative and leadership backup to the Coordinator and accept management responsibilities as required.
- Evening and weekend shift availability.
- Able and willing to provide a clear driver's abstract, Criminal Record Check and Child and Adult Abuse Registry checks.
- A valid class 5i or 5F driver's license.
- Adaptable to change
- Possesses excellent communication skills including the ability to speak, read and write English fluently.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
In an effort to keep the Arcane Horizon community as safe and healthy as possible, the office is currently closed to visitors, unless specifically booked for an appointment.
Recruitment and Hiring
Once an application is submitted to Arcane Horizon, minimum employment criteria is assessed and applicants are reviewed for suitability. Applicants will only be contacted if they meet these requirements.
Pre-Screen Phone Call
If an application meets the minimum employment criteria, applicants can expect to receive a pre-screen phone call. The purpose of this call is to discuss the applicant’s suitability in greater detail.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, interviews have been conducted remotely through Microsoft Teams. Interviews typically last between 30-60 minutes.
After the interview is completed, an applicant may be asked to provide references. Three references must be provided with valid contact information. Arcane Horizon requires that at least one reference is a supervisor that oversaw the applicant.
The final decision for hiring Direct Support Professionals is the responsibility of the Human Resources team. A member of our HR team will contact successful candidates to discuss the position and the next steps in the onboarding process.
Upon hire, the successful Direct Support Professional will be scheduled to attend an orientation on Microsoft Teams. The orientation takes approximately four hours during the COVID-19 pandemic. Arrangements will also be made for the new addition to our team to come in to the office to complete the necessary paperwork. This takes 30-45 minutes in total.
Upon completion of office orientation, the DSP can expect to hear from the Coordinator of their respective home within two business days to organize the remainder of the orientation. This will include up to 40 hours of training, shadowing and direct support work hours in the home.
Welcome to Arcane Horizon!
The first three months of employment at Arcane Horizon, leading up to the employee's first performance evaluation, provides numerous learning opportunities for the new employee. During this time, employees receive training in Nonviolent Crisis Intervention, First Aid/CPR, Vulnerable Person's Act and of course everything associated with working successfully in the home or department. Other training opportunities may also present themselves depending on the needs of the home. Performance evaluations are conducted annually thereafter.
Why join the Arcane Horizon Community?
At Arcane Horizon we are always striving to make this a great place to work. Our senior management team is very involved with provincial initiatives to increase the wages throughout the sector and professionalize the field. We want you to choose Arcane Horizon as your career! We aim to be flexible with schedules as we understand life is busy! Among the various perks of employment, we offer:
- Competitive wages
- Retention bonus
- Referral bonus
- Discounted gym memberships
- Health and dental benefits (full time)
- Excellent pension plan with employer contributions
- Supportive and positive work environments
- Service awards and recognition
- Flexible work schedules
- Extensive training and development opportunities
- Opportunities for advancement
- The satisfaction of knowing they've made a difference in somebody's life
1644 Dublin Avenue